Sunday, January 15, 2012

I went for a long hike today in DeLaveaga. It felt so good to get a lot of exercise, and it was so windy it was hard to get out to walk but in the redwoods it is protected. I have been eating a lot of salads too when I add the tuna fish it adds a lot of flavor. I think it is good for my bipolar also because of the omega oils. I think it is a nice source of protein. I might try varying it with canned salmon. Jack likes the water strained from the tuna also.

It is easier than cooking fish, maybe not quite as nutritious I'm not sure... But certainly a lot easier.

Could you give me the recipe for the coconut and brussels sprouts?

I found this recipe online from a nutritionist who works for new leaf:

Curried Red Lentil Soup

1 Tablespoon coconut oil

1 yellow onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 1-inch piece ginger, minced

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 carrots, chopped

1 teaspoon curry powder

dash cayenne (or more if you like it spicy!)

2 cups dry red lentils

4 cups vegetable stock

2 cups water

1 15-oz can coconut milk

1 bunch lacinato kale, sliced

1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced

juice from 1/2 lemon

salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, ginger, celery and carrots and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add curry powder and cayenne and cook for one minute. Add lentils, stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. At this point, stir in coconut milk, kale and cilantro and heat for 5 minutes or so until kale has wilted. Now, the fun part–tasting! Add juice from half a lemon and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and taste. Does it need something? If so, first, add more lemon juice, then and salt/pepper as needed and serve!


It looks like a good recipe and she said you can use canned lentils if you are in a hurry. Nice soup for if it gets cold and rainy later this week... You could even add sausage although it might be too rich with the coconut milk... Maybe could make it with coconut water and sausage... hmm... not sure... or some kind of lean meat...


it is from "chef jenny brewer" who like i said works for new leaf.


:)

1 comment:

  1. I practically made this today but i added chard and parsnips. And I was actually full too.

    ReplyDelete